Wednesday, February 18, 2015

HP Stream - My Thoughts...

HP Stream Thoughts…


I was very excited to see a new offering in the cloud based computer world from Microsoft and HP.  Office 365 is definitely growing and felt strongly that this would end up being strong competition to the Chromebook community.  Being a Microsoft district running on mostly all HP equipment, I was very hopeful.  HP is a great company who always meets our needs each and every year.  It pains me to say that this really missed the mark.  To be honest, I’m not sure it even landed anywhere on the paper…  I will state that the construction of the device for the price point is very good and would easily rival Chromebooks, so in that regard I don’t fault HP.  What we end up with here, is a next generation, under powered netbook running a Windows 8 Pro OS.  I’m not sure why they are really marketing this any differently.  The thought behind it from what I gathered through discussions with various individuals was that the reduction in hard disk space would push people towards relying on the cloud platform.  I can understand and appreciate that, however, we have all seen what happens when you have an underpowered netbook running a full Windows OS.  They will be slow to boot, need additional software to protect from malware and virus infections.  They are now going to be managed by GPO in your domain which also adds to additional processing at boot up and login.  I really see this going the way of the netbook and don’t see it gaining any traction in education.  If Microsoft produces a cloud based OS, then they may have something, but until then… Save your money and frustration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment